Creating a Lesson
Learn how to create a lesson using ScreenSteps 2.
Select New Lesson
To create a new Lesson, click on the New Lesson button.
Edit Lesson Title
A new lesson will be created and opened for editing. Click on the lesson title to edit it.
Capture Images/Create Steps
There are several ways to create new steps:
- Click the Step button - this creates a blank step.
- Click the Capture button to capture a screenshot and create a new step. You can also open the Capture Palette by clicking on the arrow next to the camera.
- Turn on the Clipboard Recorder. Any image you place on the system clipboard will be added to your ScreenSteps lesson.
Add Some Text
Here you can see that I have captured an image. A step has been created. You can add a step title (1) and/or step instructions (2). Just click on the fields to edit them.
Select an image by clicking on it.
You will see the image annotation tools appear in the toolbar. Select the tool you want to use and draw on the image.
Open the Inspector palette to adjust the color, thickness and other annotation parameters.
Here I have used the rectangle tool.
Saving and Other Stuff
Don't worry about saving. All of your changes are saved as you make them. Some additional things you might want to do are:
- Export the lesson to HTML, PDF, to your own blog/wiki, Word (Pro only) or to ScreenSteps Live.
- Share the lesson using Clarify-it.com or by copying it to the system clipboard as HTML or PDF.
- Add tags
- Enter a description for the lesson
- Go back to the Lesson Library (that is where you can see all of the lessons you have created)
My line and arrow annotations will not go past the outer line of the graphic. In this lesson it appears that it does. I have a lot of text and graphic images outside of my target image so there isn't any white space to pull the arrow into. How do I do this?
@crystal: Annotations cannot currently be drawn outside of the image itself. The annotations you see in this lesson are drawn on screenshots of the ScreenSteps interface.
If you need more space around the image you will need to take a larger snapshot or add white space using an external image editor. If you right-click on an image there is an option to edit it in an external editor.
Being able to add white space around images from within ScreenSteps is planned for a future version.
Is there a way to place text next to an image? Instead of being able to add the step at the bottom of an image can you place it literately to the sides of images.
E.G. ( text IMAGE text)
If the answer is no, then are their ways to actually insert text blocks in screensteps?
You can't position text to the side of an image in the editor. But you can position the image to the right of the text in HTML or PDF exports.
See here for HTML template configuration:
Is there a way to add an image to the "lesson description" page?
@Shavonne - no, it is not. Images can only be added to steps.